05 November 2011

There are 3 “J’s” in the Gospel Debate


According to Scot McKnight. Justice, justification and ... well read it here:
The Three “J’s” in the Gospel Debate | Jesus Creed:
If you preach Jesus as the gospel you will get both justification and justice.
If you preach justification you may get Jesus (but I see only some of Jesus and not the whole of Jesus) and you may get some justice (I’m skeptical on this one).
If you preach justice you may get some justification (but I’m skeptical on enough justice gospelers ever getting to justification) and you get Jesus, but again only some of Jesus (often only his teachings, his life, and his life as an example).
If you preach the Jesus of Paul’s gospel (1 Cor 15) or the apostolic sermons in Acts or the gospel of the Gospels, you get all of Jesus and all of Jesus creates both justice and justification.
I think I may agree, though I fear that this may be a bit simple and those who tend towards the two first varieties of belief probably wouldn't recognise the distinction because they think that they are the third category, in fact. But Scot is certainly right, imho, that Jesus is the centre of it all and that if we put justice or justification first we loose the plot.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...