14 June 2019

Tell Europe: 100% Clean energy to tackle the climate emergency!

Join me in writing to EU leaders about taking action on climate chaos. Avaaz - Tell Europe: 100% Clean energy to tackle the climate emergency!:

Here's what I wrote:

-

I'm scared for my children and grandchildren. Climate chaos could mean they have to learn literal survival skills I never envisaged they might need because civilisation has so improved so many facets of life. But now I see carbon pollution heating our planet and threatening thereby the ecological systems that support food production and living arrangements. This starts to be scary and for me the concern is that those apocalyptic film backdrops seem somehow less unlikely now. How will my granddaughter survive a world of Mad-Max style warlords? How will my grandsons cope with the rapid changes in assumptions that will be called for?

When I was young, it looked as if progress was a fixed trajectory; the only questions being how fast and which pathways. Now I see already the infrastructure of decline and failure is being put in place and to cap it all chaotic and catastrophic weather events growing ever more common with civilisational resiliance stripped back further and further.

I'm scared. I may become angry. I'm not alone in this.



We need to do stuff and we need to do it now. We need bold action to do what we've pussy footed around for 40 years. We need to stop pretending climate-change denial is a respectable voice of dissent when we know it is a lobbying position astroturfed by big businesses -who incidentally have known about the effects for 40 years or more. Such cynicism and it's apologetics are to be resisted.



We know it is possible to begin to do the right things and to create a virtuous cycle of development. It might be hard but a return to the stone age will be harder.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...