14 August 2004

Journey to Durham


this is our house at present. We didn't realise how many books we had got and how much for granted we took the space we had in vicarages until here. I've taken bags and bags to charity shops -mainly Oxfam. The new rule is; "you can't buy anything new unless you get rid of something else".

Durham city centre is about 2km away as the crow flies [though magpies are just as likely to fly it from here]. As we leave the street we live on to enter the wear valley path into the city centre this is the view. You can make out the cathedral. It makes me realise how much our eyes focus when the thing looks so big when I look at it from here and then see the photo. A lesson in perception.

Once we've crossed the railway line [on a footbridge -of course -what did you think?] and walked past the farm buildings and all the way to the valley floor we can look at the cathedral again. And a bit further along still...

I really love this walk and doing it three or four times a week [and back often] is helping me to get fit and leaner. Food for the soul; exercise for the body. This next picture I'm really rather pleased with and I can't work out why. At this point we're nearly in Durham city.

There are some spots that make it hard to believe that you're only a short walk from the city centre:

And once we get into Durham proper we can see ...

And to get up there we have to go over this bridge.

Durham has its pretty spots, like this little known street which they appear to be trying to turn into a mini Rive Gauche, just under the walls of St. Nicholas and the Market.

And here is St.Nick's; formally vicared by George Carey and where Pete Ward served as a curate. In front of it is the market square. Of course this picture was taken before our recent monsoon season broke.

There are all sorts of lovely little surprises in Durham, take this

And on the walk back I get to see the same from a different perspective and so this scene fills me with a sense of wellbeing.


No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...