18 October 2004

future generations vote now?

Wired 12.10:: I little while back I blogged about the way that my/our futures were likely to be greatly impacted by the outcomes of the USA elections but that we could not vote. I had also been thinking about how future generations -our children and grandchildren are likewise affected without a chance to vote and then I found this comment from the USA which I think expresses it well and applies more widely.
"Think about our behavior over the past four years. We have cut taxes but increased spending, benefiting us but burdening our kids. We have relaxed the control of greenhouse emissions, creating cheaper energy for us but astronomically higher costs for our kids, if they are to avoid catastrophic climatic change. We have waged an effectively unilateral war against Iraq, giving some a feeling of resolve but engendering three generations of angry souls focused upon a single act of revenge: killing Americans. ...
This is the shameful application of a simple political truth: The future doesn't vote. And when tomorrow's generations get their turn at the polls, they won't be able to punish those who failed to consider their interests. The cost of shifting burdens to the future is thus quite small to us, even if it is quite large to them. And we, or the politicians representing us, happily follow this calculus."

I guess my question is how we can find proper mechanisms to make sure that all stakeholders get represented in decision-making. I don't necessarioy think that it has to be by voting: the price mechanisms including costs for environmental degradation, for example, would help represent the interests of future generations and indeed of non-national-therefore-non-voters. But I think that it is an urgent need to plug that democratic deficit. Perhaps it is one of the defining tasks of our generation? It is certainly an outworking of loving our neighbour as ourselves.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...