06 January 2005

Ecocide


A few years ago I sstarted using the term 'ecocide' in a lecture I do on postmodern spirituality. I have usually had to explain it to a bemused crowd but I persist in using it because it is a short word and says what I mean. So imagine my frission of joy on seeing soeone else using it and in a heaviweight reflection on the dangers it poses to civilisation as we know it about which I am becoming more disturbed as time goes on. The toll of previous civilistions that have collapsed as a result of tottering over the edge of ecological sustainability is sobering.

See this as a crash-course in the matter and make new-year's resolutions accordingly.
"Today, ecocide has come to overshadow nuclear war and emerging diseases as a major threat to global civilization, and it will become acute within the next few decades. We are faced with even more environmental problems than past societies--specifically, human-caused climate change, buildup of toxic chemicals in the environment, energy shortages, and full human utilization of the Earth's photosynthetic capacity--and the risk of such collapses is now a matter of increasing concern."

Seed Magazine: Science is Culture
:::

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...