11 June 2011

We prayed, I started ...


Since we finished later on Thursday evening and I had to get up early to come to college in Nottingham, I didn't really get much chance until about now to note here that the service for the inauguration of my ministry at Northumbria University had taken place and, I think, went off well. The liturgy is below. I'd like to specially recognise the contribution of members of the university choir and of the girls' choir from the cathedral: it's a difficult occasion to plan for singing because of the variety of people present, so having a good musical lead (and they were) is really helpful.

There were several things that I wanted the liturgy to achieve humanly: to engage those of Christian faith in prayer for the chaplaincy; to recognise and engage some significant partners (the VC's office, the 'department' chaplaincy works out of, the students' union, local churches); to involve my colleagues in leading the liturgy; to begin my own ministry formally by leading us all in prayer for the university; to use embodied symbolism.

In leading the prayers I started with the university statement of values and wove those into prayers relating to the areas represented by those who gave official welcomes at the event. (I haven't got the copy of the prayers with me here; I'll blog them when I have the digital copy to hand). Having asked the welcomers to bring a symbolic object, these were laid on the table at the centre with each welcome. Then when I led the prayers I picked each symbol up and placed it, as I prayed, in the centre of the three candles we started the service by lighting -on top of my licence. I had made my statutory declarations and affirmations before a small party of witnesses earlier.


Set up: Rutherford Hall. Layout: table central surrounded on four sides by seats. Three candles in centre of table.

Gathering and opening

Candle lighting: (based on Iona ceremony) Three chaplains; a line each, as a candle is lit with each line.
  • A Light in the name of God; author of all being, who lights the world with Life
  • A light in the name of God the eternally begotten, who invests the world with grace
  • A light in the name of God the Go-Between who energises all with God-ward-ness
  • [together] Three lights in honour of God in whose three-fold friendship we now gather.
Greeting and Welcome: Bishop Frank White
§ O God beyond all praising (tune: Thaxted) [This was chosen because it is a well known and stirring tune by Elgar (?) -used for 'I vow to Thee my country' and suitable for starting. I also wanted to show that the tune could have other words!]
O God beyond all praising,
we worship you today ...
(Words: Michael Perry (1942-1996);
© by Jubilate Hymns, Ltd. )
Futher welcome and context setting: Chris Dalliston

Ministry of the word

Reading(s): (chaplains);
  • Acts 11: 19-26
  • John 15: 12-17
address: Bp Frank White [He made connections between Rutherford after whom the building we were meeting in was named, and the readings. Rutherford was the founder of what became Northumbria University]

Welcomes, declarations and prayers.

declarations:
... Therefore I now ask: Andii, do you believe that you have been called by God to work as Chaplain in this University?
Chaplain I do.
Bishop The charge of Chaplains is to work with staff and students of all faiths, beliefs and value-systems and to be available to offer pastoral and spiritual care. The Christian Chaplains work together with people in the University to discover God’s purpose for themselves and for the University as an institution. The co-ordinating chaplain is to be fully involved in the life of the University, and to seek the flourishing of life and diverse community in the University. Andii, mindful of this charge, will you commit yourself to serve the community of staff and students in this University of Northumbria?
Chaplain I will.
Bishop reads out the license and presents it
Bishop The University Chaplaincy is a Local Ecumenical Partnership, created by the University and the Churches of this Region as a sign and a symbol of our commitment to one another. Will you commit yourself to working ecumenically with all the Chaplains, and on behalf of the Chaplaincy, supporting and contributing to the activities of the Chaplaincy team, and working together also with representatives of other faiths for the peace and welfare of the University as a whole?
Chaplain I will.
Bishop As Co-ordinator of the Chaplaincy Team you have responsibilities to the University. Will you, on behalf of the University Chaplaincy, undertake to be involved appropriately in the structures and management of this University?
Chaplain I will
Bishop And I invite the other Chaplains of the University to support Andii: will you offer support to him in his ministry.
Chaplains We will.
Bishop Let’s reflect in a moment’s quiet. ... [and he did leave a good long, but not too long pause]
In light and in darkness, in joy and in pain, in clarity and in confusion, may the Lord sustain you. May you be humble and just, steadfast and true, serving Christ and all people in righteousness, in holiness and in peace; and the blessing of God almighty, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, be upon you and remain with you always.
Amen.
Welcomes: VC, SU, LAG, and others, each with a few words of welcome lay an object on the table
Reading from TS Eliot [originally the Buddhist chaplain had hoped to read this, but she was ill, and so the Anglican chaplain to Newcastle University, Catherine Lack, stepped in and read the excerpt from the Rock from her own copy of the volume]
The endless cycle of idea and action,
Endless invention, endless experiment,
Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
[Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word.]
All our knowledge brings us nearer to our ignorance,
All our ignorance brings us nearer to death,
[But nearness to death no nearer to GOD.]
Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
Prayers: Andii
§ O Lord hear my prayer: -music led by choir,
O Lord, hear my prayer, O Lord hear my prayer,
When I call, answer me.
O Lord, hear my prayer, O Lord hear my prayer,
Come, and listen to me.
Andii to lead petitions based on welcomes and declarations, gathering objects or visiting objects on the table.

Closing.

§ Rutter -The Lord Bless you …. ; Choir.
Dismissal: Bp Frank White


Nouslife: Ora pro me; 9 June

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...