I've been suggesting that since people don't seem to be so keen on voting but there is some [growing?] support for single-issue organisations like Greenpeace and various charitable organisations, churches etc, perhaps we should use such organisations to supply 'peers' on a basis of membership [say 100,000 supporters=one peer]. Then we'd have a second chamber representing what people in this country actively support which would then perform a useful scrutinising function bringing the expertise of these voluntary and semi voluntary organisations to bear on the processes of government. Of course there are downsides but it looks better than what we're getting at the moment!
On the other hand you could support Billy Bragg's suggestion [headline link] and have our votes count twice. It's not my first choice but Iwould go for it ... since my own idea seems to be in want of support!;-)
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment