18 September 2004

African Americans Have More Negative View of Islam than Whites

Muslim WakeUp! MWU! Blog: The site that this references is one on my blogroll because I find it interesting to find an articulate and progressive Muslim voice. Like the author, Ahmed Nassef, I was surprised to discover that black African-Americans have a more negative view of Islam than Euro-Americans [well, a higher proportion of 'negative impressions']. There are a few suggestions as to why, and indeed I would be interested. But I do just wonder whether it may be that the proportion of Evangelical Christians may be higher in that community and thus the figure is mainly explained by the higher antipathy figures from regular-churchgoing Evangelicals?

Of course an awareness that it was Muslim rulers selling captives to the slave trade 300 years ago, the genocidal politics of Arab Muslim government in Sudan or Muhammed's derogatory comments about black people ["Raisin heads"] may or may not figure ...

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...