27 October 2004

Danger: 750 million poor people at risk from new trade deal

Danger: 750 million poor people at risk from new trade deal
Campaign action for the week. I followed this up with an amended email to Patricia hewitt on this issue giving my understanding of the unfairness of this particular EU action. I encourage you to do simililarly.

Here's what I wrote:
"Economic Partnership Agreements (EPAs) will probably increase poverty and rather than benefit poor countries drive them deeper into a debt/primary commodity-producer spiral. I note that Britain and other countries have historically been able to protect fledgling and developing industries and now reap the benefit. I hope that we will allow developing ocuntries the same opportunity

I call on you to support the rights of ACP governments to protect and develop their industries and urge you to work within the EU to:

- Stop using EPAs to force ACP countries to further open up their economies while they are yet unready tomeet the competitive demands set de facto by more mature economies.

- Stop using EPAs to push through issues that developing countries have already rejected at world trade talks. This is underhand and unworthy and amounts to bullying. Not in my name!

- Reform WTO rules to allow fairer alternatives to EPAs to be negotiated."

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...