21 May 2005

Why i'm greening myself

Mark Porthouse, who is a guest contributor to this blog, asked me how I'd got to be concerned about such things. Here's roughly what I replied.
"... as a teenager I was impressed by the way that the world worked ecologically and, being in the process of becoming a Christian at the time, felt that 'biomimicry' and respect for the systems of creation was obviously the way we should be running things. I worked for a time in a wholefood shop, and at one point I was also involved in writing an SCM study pack on the environment [early 80's with Mark Chater, I think it was] and encouraging IVP to publish something on creation care. I'm afraid all sorts of other things got in the way of following through on that until about 6 years ago my work took me to a university chaplaincy where I inherited a fair trade cafe as part of the work and I was able to reconnect with my roots and get information more easily to support that reconnection. I've always been a one for a just approach to social matters [working class background, first kid in the family and among the first in the cohort to go to university etc etc]. So at the moment all sorts of bits of background are coming together in this for me.

I was in my teens and early twenties continually friustrated that the kind of thing I felt was right was realy only possible if [a] you were richer than I was or [b] prepared to drop out which seemed no solution for everybody else; we needed social and scalable solutions."
So now you know ... kind of.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...