I think that in our culture the word 'perfect' is off-putting and forbidding. This article has it right; "Your heavenly Father is perfect! Now I’ll admit that the word perfect—so austere, so unattainable—might at first keep you at arm’s length. Anyone who had an overly reserved, emotionally distant father might certainly be intimidated by it."
In fact, I suspect that it's more than having distant earthly fathers; it's a cultural mood which associates perfection with things that are displayed, therefore untouchable and incapable of response or development. Quite hard to associate with love, then.
So what the author, Jim Carpenter, goes on to say is really helpful, especially the higtlighted bit:
"But don’t think of perfect as a total portrait of your Father. It is simply the color and light that illuminate His other features. Like love. Your Father loves you with perfect love. Or look at His wisdom. It’s perfect. He is perfectly faithful and perfectly forgiving. His guidance is perfect. His plans for your life are absolutely perfect for you."
The whole article is worth a look.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment