"'2003 was a foretaste. Heatwaves will become more intense and longer lasting. The 2003 summer could become the norm by the middle of the century.'"
This is regardless of climate change mitigation, I think. However, the way things are shaping up seems to indicate that the changes may not be uniform for Britain. "Scottish temperatures are not rising in the same way as those in the south. The difference in temperatures between north and south Britain is greater than forecast,". So planning to retire to the north of England seems like a good idea.
And there is sensible advice for lifestyle change.
"The simple way [to keep out of danger] is to install air conditioning, but this is expensive, uses a lot of energy and adds to global warming. It's quite possible to stay cool by modifying lifestyles."
He recommended people open windows in the morning and evening, draw curtains or shutters, drinking plenty of water and avoid physical exercise in hot weather. "At the first sign of a heatwave people should take cool baths or showers," he said. He also suggested Britons should start taking siestas in the heat of the afternoon. "It is a very civilised way of behaving in extreme heat. By modifying our lifestyles we can remain cool."
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | Siestas forecast as UK heads for heatwaves: [:climate:]
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment