20 September 2005

national pensions debate?

Under current rules I am approximately half way through my working lifetime. As some readers will be aware I'm at present undertaking a not entirely voluntary career break which will soon begin to have implications for my retirement. I'm also looking at a situation where I may have 10-20 good years of retirement in relative good health. That's if the potential heart problem is kept at bay by my efforts to keep adaquately exercised and properly 'dieted'. Actually, as I view that prospect along with knowing myself through this period of not working for money very often, I think that I welcome 'removing the barriers to flexible retirement and the way pensions are paid'
And I think that I this makes for interesting reflection.
"studies showing that, while men retiring at 65 and women at 60 currently receive a basic state pension of £82, deferring to 70 could allow payments to rise to £130.."
That is assuming that climate change hasn't caused so much disruption that 'all bets are off'. And it feels like it is a bet. I'm starting to wonder whether I'd be better off learning things like plumbing, house repair and building, basic agriculture and so on ....
Guardian Unlimited Money | News_ | Brown calls for national pensions debate:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...