Rather than reducing crime, the scheme will generate a new criminal industry devoted to stealing and forging ID cards, rather as Prohibition created a huge criminal bootlegging fraternity; for criminals are entrepreneurs and as soon as something is turned into a marketable commodity — in this case, identities — they will seek to profit from it. Forged cards might not fool forensic experts, but in most cases they will not be recognised by bank clerks and shop assistants, so their effect on fraud will be minor.The Times Online guest contributors Opinion: On Del.icio.us: IDcards, flaws, cons, opposition, Times, civil-liberties, privacy, surveillance, society, culture
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
17 October 2005
ID cards bill, 3rd reading tomorrow
It's getting close, and when you read this article, it's easy to wonder how on earth the bill has got this far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment