19 June 2006

Evangelical Shifts

I've been thinking lately that the term evangelical now seems so firmly associated with knee-jerk reactionary uncharitableness that I can scarcely bring myself to take the label any more, certainly not without qualifiers like 'catholic'. So I was interested to read this.
Recently, I had a long chat with an accomplished Asian theologian who is also bishop of my ecclesiastical denomination. I lamented to him that I have often been accused of being "liberal", "slippery", or "non-evangelical" simply because I suffer a discontentment arising from what I deem to be an Evangelical bankruptcy. My theological positions often place me at the margins of Evangelicalism. He seemed to fully identify with my lament, and responded by saying, "Yes, this places us at the margins of Evangelicalism, but also at the forefront." He went on to mutter something akin to saying that there is often a price to pay for being at the forefront or an agent of change.

It's made me wonder if we need a specifically evangelical equivalent of the 'progressive Christian network'; a progressive evangelical commonweal ...
Filed in: , , Generous Orthodoxy ThinkTank: Evangelical Shifts:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...