05 February 2007

Ironies of ecumenism or not

This article caught my attention partly because I'm currently working in a Roman Catholic school. And I'm drawing attention to this story partly because of what has happened on a couple of occasions while I've been there. You see, I tend to go to the lunchtime mass that is held there each week. Obviously I can't take communion, but it's good to go and be reminded of the distance there is to go in realising Christ's prayer that we may be one. Now, one of the things that is becoming evident is that there really is a shortage of RC priests because twice mass has just been liturgy of the word on account of no priest being available. I smile wryly at this, because there in the midst of the congregation sits a duly ordained priest/presbyter -me. Simply that the Bishop of Rome is not keen to recognise my orders because my church doesn't necessarily believe certain things that are considered important by said bishop. I now think it's even more ironic because it appears that in terms of belief I'm clearly a darn sight more orthodox in RC terms than a number of their clergy ...
Bit of a nonsense. God must be torn between laughing and crying, metaphorically speaking, in as far as such terms can apply.
Priests leave Pope's doctrines outside confessional | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...