An erstwhile colleague of mine asks an important question: "Is there actually such a thing as 'Christian Art' anyway? Does art produced by Christian need to consist of overtly Christian imagery? Surely not. Derek posits the idea of 'artist-theologian' - rather than Christian artist. The artist-theologian seeks to interpret God's world and His purposes in that world through the chosen medium - perhaps clay, film, paint or wood, as opposed to the words and metaphors of the more traditional theologian. In this regard, the 'artist-theologian' can help to lift the endeavour of theology out of the realm of 'mere words' and into something that touches the soul."
I pretty much agree and note that the challenge for theological educators is to learn how to get beyond 'mere words' in both teaching and assessing and do so with academic integrity. Some have given up and concluded that it is impossible. But I fear that betrays ignorance or lack of imagination. After all, there are degrees offered in the arts ... !
Out of the Cocoon - Main - Wikiklesia #7 : Theology as Art:
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
21 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment