01 November 2007

Facebook. Tried it, didn't like it.

I did write about this before, but I'm even more getting to think like Maggi on this one. She says, "Honestly, I have a life already. You wanna say something? Just send me an email or ring me up like you did before."
Yep: I'm coming to the conclusion that Facebook doesn't give me anything I want, especially, that isn't easier to do direct via email, blog or other means. The only thing I like about it is seeing what other people are up to and even then it gets to be boring to see they're adding the functionalities that I'd decided were probably a waste of my time. What I most worry about is the way that it's 'privatising' services that used to be done more openly. It seems to me the equivalent of the shopping mall vs the High street. The former is private space opened to the public. The latter is public space with access to the private. I don't think we need more 'gated communities' where our relationships are within private space owned by someone else. We need our commons and our public spaces. Facebook seems to be an attempt to privatise the internet.
maggi dawn: Facebook. Tried it, didn't like it.:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...