Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
22 March 2008
Give away your money and be happy
Today is clearly altruism day for research findings. Give away your money and be happy - being-human - 20 March 2008 - New Scientist: "'Moving into a bigger house will give you a happiness boost, but you then get used to the house,' says Lyubomirsky. The same goes for other types of possessions. Acts of kindness, by contrast, are more likely to produce unexpected positive outcomes, such as a favour performed in return. Prosocial acts also enhance our self-perception in a way that possessions do not, adds Lyubomirsky." So the significant factor could actually be the renewing of the spending rather than the spend-focus; that is the same dynamic as seems to drive rampant consumerism. Though it would be significant that giving it away does make for happiness. And, actually the research (though with only a limited sample) does seem to indicate altruistic 'spending' may be more happiness-inducing. Good to think about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment