Beyond the voice and the passion of the line in the famous song, typically, I find the linguistics of the song fascinating. So it was great to come upon this posting Language Log: Je ne regrette rien: phonetics and phonology: which draws attention to one of the things I notice, partly because I've been trying to imitate the words as la Piaf sings them: "she sings je ne regrette as something very much like [ʒnʁgʁɛt], although the first two consonants are certainly soft and indistinct".
It's the reason I find Parisian French so hard to understand compared with, say, southern or West African: the Parisian version seems to have a principle of removing schwa as much as possible, often resulting in Piafesque strings of consonants. (And getting the 'light touch' on the consonants is also not easy). I spend loads of processing time working out which consonants belong with which morpheme or word ... clearly I need more practice. That's the reason to look to visiting Paris on Eurostar ...
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment