With a tantalising lack of detail the Church Times carried this report. Church Times - Muslim woman takes lead: "History was made in Britain last week when a woman Muslim scholar, Professor Amina Wadud, led Friday prayers and delivered a sermon at an Oxford mosque, writes . Traditionalists argue that the Qur’an stipulates that only men can lead prayers, but other scholars cite the example of Umm Waraqa, a woman allowed by the prophet Muhammad to lead household prayers and to teach her neighbour. About 15 people were reported to be present at the event."
More details from Muslim perspectives here and here is the Independent report. It would seem that to see this as something hopeful may well be well optimistic.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
28 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment