Because this is said by Philip Lewis, I'd take it seriously. It's reported here Olympic mosque could create breeding ground for extremists, says senior Anglican - Telegraph: "Dr Philip Lewis, an interfaith adviser to the Bishop of Bradford, said that the plans threaten to establish a ghetto of Muslims taught to embrace jihad. Tablighi Jamaat, the group behind the proposal, are 'isolationist', 'patriarchal' and has a narrow reading of Islam that leaves it vulnerable to extremists, he said. ... 'Tablighi Jamaat does not try to engage with wider society so there must be clear worries that such a mosque would lead to a ghetto,' he said.'The danger is that this becomes a self-contained world, which would be vulnerable to extremists."
Note, however, his careful expression. The organisation is not demonised, but the potential roll-on effects of their approach are warned against. That's important nuancing. Also important is noting the terms in which other Muslims distance themselves from it.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment