11 November 2008

Language and the psychology of health

""
This grabbed my attention beyond the sheer interest of something like this and its implications for dealing with human well-being, because it put me in mind of a story reported by C Peter Wagner in one of his books on strategic level spiritual warfare. The story was of a town straddling the Uruguay (I think) -Brasil border; someone who was resistant to the gospel on the Uruguay side would become open on crossing to the Brasilian side. Wagner presents this as evidence of territorial spirits and the need for SLSW. I'm not at all sure about that and my reasons for skepticism are somewhat supported by this research, I think. How far is our psychology affected by culture and language; and this includes receptiveness to the gospel.

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

Interesting point.

What is a territorial spirit and what is a cultural spirit?

Andii said...

Since I'm skeptical of the approach of Wagner et al, I may not be a good person to ask! I'm not sure about cultural spirit (except as a variant of zeitgeist, where it is not about separate beings but a summation of a cultural moment). territorial spirits in the Wagner viewpoint are demons who have climbed the greasy pole of demonic hierarchy to be in charge of operations for a particular area or polity. I'm skeptical about whether things work like that. I don't really find that in scripture and only really in dodgy bits of 'tradition'.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...