02 June 2010

Reforming votes

Why am I supporting this given that I do not think that the AV system is such a good idea? Well, I see it as a possible staging post. If we also get a largely elected Lords with STV, then I think that this may lay the groundwork for a fuller reform a bit further down the line. It'll get English voters used to the system and I suspect that it will start to feel more legitimate than the AV system for the Commons over time. The only thing AV has going for it is it should normally result in the election of the least dispreffered candidate. However, as the Electoral Reform Society's guide to voting systems points out, the AV system is likely to result in an aggregated national vote which is even more disproportional. Any FPTP system is likely to do this as they only really deliver proportionality in a two party system.

So I-m hoping for a more proportional reformed Lord's too. Vote for a Change | Tell David Cameron: We Need a Timetable for Reform

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...