In my first curacy, the choirmaster used to tell me that he could teach people who were supposedly tone deaf to hold a tune. I asked him to elucidate a bit. Part of his answer was that we use pitch in speech and English speakers do so very well; we can 'sing' our sentences fine. Listen to this programme and in the first few minutes you will hear why this is significant; I mean literally hear it -and you will find it hard to 'unhear' it afterwards! Go here for it. WNYC - Radiolab: Musical Language (April 21, 2006)
Here's what it's about: "For those of us who have trouble staying in tune when we sing, Deutsch has some exciting news. The problem might not be your ears, but your language. She tells us about tone languages, such as Mandarin and Vietnamese, which rely on pitch to convey the meaning of a word. Turns out speakers of tone languages are exponentially more inclined to have absolute (AKA 'perfect') pitch." That's like, in a sample group of Mandarin speaking children, Chinese were nine times more likely to have perfect pitch than American children. Fascinating. However, the bad news -to counter the good just mentioned- is that there are developmental windows.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment