I love these words, and I love it that they can't be translated by a single English word or short phrase.
20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words from Around the World:
But it's not quite true to say that they are "examples of instances where other languages have found the right word and English simply falls speechless." After all, they each have a short 'definition' in English. So English doesn't fall speechless (especially as 'tartle' is a word from an English dialect!). Merely has to be a bit more prolix. This is important because we don't want to fall into strong linguistic determinism, do we?
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment