WhenI first discovered that the seven monsatic hours of prayer included a prayer time that interrupted sleep, I used to feel that this was surely part of a punishing ascetic schedule. Now I'm not so sure. Evidence has been accumulating that we humans may, in fact not only be wired to have two roughly 4-hour sleep periods separated by an hour or so but that reading historical evidences shows that until the industrial revolution, most people seemed to do just that.
"For most of evolution we slept a certain way," says sleep psychologist Gregg Jacobs. "Waking up during the night is part of normal human physiology."
One of the things that some texts mention is that some people used this time for spiritual practice. So it seems to me likely that the monastic offices were merely a monkly or nunly version of this.
BBC News - The myth of the eight-hour sleep:
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment