As a linguist I find this utterly fascinating: the idea that which language you speak [or rather; habitually use in face-to-face conversation] could perhaps alter your liklihood of catching a cold, 'flu or other airborne virus. It's all in the aspiration of plosives, affricates and the like. Chinese and English tend to be quite heavy on "puffs of air following" and so increase the amount and range of airborne viruses expelled by speakers. Who said"'...names will never hurt me."?
Of course it's theoretical but it could just be a factor.
Next question, could awareness of disease-spreading capabilities become an engine for linguistic change? Well maybe it's unlikely but ... you never know.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just Love -a book review
... Seemed like a book 'just up my street': I've found myself pondering a lot lately about the links between justice and love, ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment