11 October 2004

An Augustinian Understanding of Love in an Ecological Context - by Francisco Benzoni


Quodlibet Online Journal: Francisco Benzoni: "Cupiditas: Loving the world to death"
While I don't think that this article give us any startling or new insights it does give a good exposition of cupidity and relates it to our ecological challenges. It got my attention because, in a way, it marks out part of my intellectual path to faith: I was a memeber of what is now the Green Party even before I was old enough to vote. And, being a youth of reflective tendencies, got to wondering what the basic issue was behind our ecological crisis. It seemed to me that greed and selfishness were at the heart of the matter and so, also being a youth of spiritual curiosity, I felt that what was needed was a spiritual path that addressed that and did something about changing human greed and selfishness. It seemed to me that Christ offered such change ...
In terms of this article, what I had done was identify cupidity as the problem.

I love the title of the sub-heading I have quoted: 'loving the world to death'.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...