18 October 2004

Fractal Democracy

WorldChanging:
Given ruminations on this blog of late on democracy, it's only fair also that this should get a look-in. In fact the strongest suggestion about a democratic system looks to me rather like using a kind of focus group as a ginger group for wider consultation. I think it could be part of the solution. The real key is finding ways to involve people in the debates at a sufficient depth. How could we harness all the chat-show and Kilroy/Oprah style stuff into proper democratic debate?

I like the idea of voting everyday over issues. I was going to write a sci-fi novella once on this idea -the punch line, so to speak was going to be when people woke up to the fact that the power 'now' resided with those who got to put the questions!

I think that there are issues here relating to church government. I was particularly interested in the 7-person decision group. Put me in mind of cell-groups. Now in the Anglican church of England all we have to do is work out a way to empower cell groups as part of the decision-making machinery of church which means replacing or placing within the PCC system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Rohit from WorldChanging. dude, why don't you come on over and participate! I liked what you said about "the power lies with the guy who raises the question". Can you expand that?

cheers!
rohit gupta
www.worldchanging.com

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...