14 October 2004

UK unemployment hits 20-year low

Guardian Unlimited | The Guardian |
Last time I was unemployed it was in the midst of the high figures in the early 1980's. This time it's the total opposite. Last time I felt somehow it was kind of okay to be unemployed: there were lots of others who were. This time I feel really embarrasssed. Last time I had few choices, this time I seem to have many but I'm having to be careful to make ones that allow for the kinds of future developments I think are the right ones in view of my vocational commitments.

LAst time I wrote [and wish I'd kept] with another unemployed Christian at my then church, a theological reflection on employment, human value and social structures. This time I have too many other things I want/need/ should write ... but it would be fun to revisit it.

It's a funny old world.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...