I mentioned before that the EU budget crisis [as it's turning out to be] might open up some useful possibilities for African development. It looks like Downing Street have caught on to that synergy, now, too.
"Downing Street said the CAP 'has a detrimental effect on the capacity of developing countries to export their own products through world markets, and this is why we are arguing that it should be reformed as part of a global deal on export subsidies, which should be ended by 2010'.
'Trade is vital to empowering developing countries to stand on their own feet,' said a spokesman for Gordon Brown. Britain wants the EU to abolish export subsidies within five years, without demanding tit-for-tat concessions from poor countries, at this year's critical World Trade Organisation talks."
Having now made that argument just before G8, it'll be harder to back off from too.
The Observer | Business | Blair vows to break up CAP for Africa's sake:
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment